Monday, November 06, 2006

Why Is It I'm Digging Your Scene?

Truly, this is the last kind of music I expected to hear within the first five minutes of my stay in Dallas last week. Mid-Eighties British one-hit wonders who aren't Kajagoogoo? I was expecting some...I dunno--Waylon Jennings. Waylon and Willie and the Boys, you know? Some outlaw country?

Like when Waylon sang in "Lukenbach, Texas" about gettin' back to the basics of love:

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women








Could there be anything more not-Texan than a 24 year-old British ponce prancing in a pompadour, eyeliner and lipgloss, singing "I know I'll dieeeeeee, bay-ay-beeeeeee??"

Sure enough, when it came time to leave, bright pop hits of the Eighties were still laying an absurd pall over the already spiritless, brown-carpet bleakness of the DFW airport.

No comments: