Thursday, December 13, 2012

Today's Shuffle: My head is high and my spirit is strong

Well, I need to excise some tracks, albums and artists off of this iPod. The crimes? They range from being the bland quasi-local spin-off of a band I really liked (rhymes with milko) or a Top 40 rip-off of a band I really love (rhymes with Meplacements).

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Better Things I Learned the Hard Way
Martha Wainwright, Tower Song, I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too
Res, 700 Mile Situation How I Do
Stevie Wonder, Sir Duke Songs in the Key of Life
The Autumn Defense, Iowa City Adieu Circles
Neil Young, Loner Decade
Hideo Kobayashi, Teardrops with Rasmus Faber A Drama
Goo Goo Dolls, Long Way Down A Boy Named Goo
Linda Ronstadt, I Will Never Marry Simple Dreams
Neko Case, Fever Middle Cyclone
Stevie Wonder, Golden Lady Innervisions
The Temptations, Papa Was a Rolling Stone (DJ Jazzy Jeff and Pete Kuzma Soleful Mix), Cafe Mambo Ibiza 2006


And I have to delete the Martha Wainwright. This is in italics because, while I really do like her voice, she is kind of crazy and most--all?--of the songs are unequivocally bad aural feng shui. She's always waking up in someone's bed she shouldn't have been in or waiting by the phone for that no-good (married, distracted, shady) man to call but then he comes back and BAM her zipper's undone and there we are again.

That's just some poor-choices, self-hating poison to pour into your own earholes.

But then Shuffle gives you the antithesis of that to start your day.



And, in that small, random gift, you have a pool of morning sunshine to swim in later when things and thoughts darken during the day.

You want your iPod to not only play what you like instead of what you don't, but to soundtrack exactly where you are (and we're talking the undiscovered country here, folks, the insides), not someplace that you're not.


No comments: