Wednesday, April 14, 2021

[The Jitterbug Waltz]


Some days--not today--all I can handle is vibes. 

It's amazing how well you feel when you feel well. But when there's no rain or wind or location obligation making you push through, and you're just inside the house, mostly, then you're more finely attuned to the primary vessel you're living in. And I suggest--strongly--that you really feel what you're feeling, your "astounding nervous system," when most of your external inputs have gone pfft, or mainly emanate from a computer screen or a cat, and you're not dodging raindrops, traffic, stinky train cars, or people you don't want to speak to at or around the workplace.

Or, in short, do I feel it more when I feel like shit? I think so. And a salve, aside from sleep, is vibes.

I don't know exactly what it is about the sound, if it's some kind of binaural beat created from its vibrato effect, but vibraphone soothes, smooths, emulsifies all the competing mind/body war that has, whoa, seemed to happen almost every day around here.

So I thank the vibra-godz for leading me to Bobby Hutcherson, a one time "Talent Deserving of Wider Recognition" (aren't we all) who carried on into this century what Lionel Hampton started. 

I'll let vibes drive the days when I need them to.


No comments: