Sunday, February 21, 2021

You've got something about you that I want around me

'81 must have presented me with a well-working radio because I know each and every one of these songs.

Was this now-clunky, then-spectacular alarm clock radio the source? I think it had been handed down to me by then, and I sure didn't get a boombox until a few years later. It was this beauty

I know I inherited this one and had it from high school well into the 2000s; I am intimately familiar with the feel of that SNOOZ button. Hard to push, had to bash. 

Before it served as an alarm clock in my adulthood, waking me first with Double Q, then with KLH, and then with XRT, the alarm clock radio was a day-and-night companion, telling time, connecting me to the world outside of my bedroom, making that sanctuary feel super doubly safer, especially when down-list latter-day charters by synth pioneers played. 

It's not the same, coming from the flatness of the internet. Give me the tinny speaker of the morning squawk box, sending, ethereally, a voice from another time right to me in my insomnia or sadness, dreams or waking up.

No comments: