Friday, March 12, 2021

I'll pretend my ship's not sinking

I didn't know the bright plastic soul-y sound out of mid-80s to early 90s was a genre until the almighty algorithm served it to me. (Do I classify that delivery/discovery as random also? Stay tuned to find out. I gotta think about that one.) 

Sophistipop was just a moment, but god, it was a delicious champagne punch that rose from the we-can't-play-and-we-don't-care, cynically jangly, darkly synthy, New Romantic-ruffled, and, reaching further back, blue-eyed soul ethos of 70s and 80s British pop. Maybe it emerged because the rich got richer and yuppies ran the joint in Thatcher's England, and they needed a soundtrack at their drinks parties.

Or, and this is what I think, they needed some purposely well-made and goddammit, happier music. Like we (I mean, me) do now. 

This is frankly a low-ranking sophistipop entry, but I'll take it all these days. All of it. I want to feel better, and this is the power suited, spandexed elixir to get me there.

***

God, I just realized that I posted their other Big Hit a week ago. I completely forgot.

That's how it goes when most of your week is spent in here


Coda: why in the hell am I also not gainfully employed by remaking music videos shot-for-shot? This is my calling.

No comments: