Thursday, March 11, 2021

Well now you see what you wanna be

Even at 10, could I tell this was something from the underground? There was nothing else like it before, or after, really. 

Mostly, I was enraptured (how could I not?) by the sillier lyrics, the interlude about ending up in the Man from Mars, and eating all manner of domestic and imported autos.

The future, past, and present musical tenses all linked, now I see, in this part:

Don't strain your brain, paint a train

You'll be singin' in the rain

Said don't stop to punk rock

This explains it all better than I can right now. It's hard to hear something new you heard with young ears with old(er) ears to make it new again, when you know it by heart, and now, know what it all meant.

How lucky we were then to even have an underground to surface in oh-so-delicious ways above-ground, here and here and here (again)


No comments: