Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Swear I'm gonna find you

A new series: Songs I Associate with Landsdowne Drive. 

The bow-shaped sound of Meisner's bass fit just right with looping over the hills of Landsdowne Drive. We often drove that way to get to Fayette Mall from my grandmother's house.

And it was right here where these twin apartment buildings on either side of Landsdowne, at the top of (what seemed to be) a huge hill, each with swimming pools. To my five year-old mind, these were the height of luxury. A pool! At your home! I lived in a duplex at the time so I understood rental living. (Little did I know renting and I would have what feels like a lifelong relationship.)

But with a POOL! You could run out of your door and jump into it in time with the little diddle-dit-doo-doo guitar thing in the verse after Felder's guitar solo!

These were the goals: living in the sun-soaked "new" part of town, playing in the pool with the big, bright sky arching overhead, letting One of These Nights just happen to you.


No comments: