Wednesday, March 21, 2012

He Who Hesitates Is Lost



...only because I've had this song in my head for a week solid because there are gulls crying everywhere around this eerily hot city, and they're sailing everywhere, not just over the lake that's the right temperature for this time of year. I've heard them outside my bedroom window since last Wednesday morning.

They're all going, WHA-AT? WHA-AT? WE'RE OUT HERE AND THERE AREN'T ANY DAMN FISH OR PEOPLE EATING CHEETOS ON THEIR YACHTS FOR US TO HAVE A DECENTLY FULL BELLY, MAYBE WE SHOULD GO BACK TO WHERE EVER IT IS WE HANG OUT FROM DECEMBER TO MARCH (USUALLY). BUT IT'S NOT COLD SO I DON'T KNOW WHA-AT THE HELL I AM DOING. WHA-AT?

Also, I love that, as Andy Partridge describes, the song's peculiar keyboard progression originated on a Mellotron he dragged up some stairs at home and noodled out some three-finger chords he thought sounded "like the seaside."

Or like the lake when freaked-out gulls are circling over it and happy, just slightly freaked-out people are wending around it on dusty bikes and last year's shoes.

No comments: