Thursday, March 18, 2021

It's poetry in motion

God, I used to love to dance to this song when it came on at the Mad Planet on Friday nights. In fact, I just typed "dance with this song," which is, indeed, what was going on. I'd fling whatever I was drinking (Leinie, and for a time Cape Codders, gah) down and, shoving aside whoever I needed to, make my way to the black square with the one-step-up stage to get busy.

Was it the 12-inch they played? I somehow think not, because I remember having to, you know, really get out there to absorb as much of the three-minutes-something I could, and I think the "sci-ii-ii-ence!" mixing would have become a drag.

No, this is better as a tight three, not with its angles and "tubes and wires" exposed and broken down and out and hiccuping (along with the vocal hiccuping) over you on that floor.

Plus, it's how Dolby imagined it: he conceived the video before he wrote the song. "Dolby saw music videos with story lines as 'short silent films with a soundtrack'." Oh, come to mama! Exactly!

Back at the Mad Planet, though: I asked then, and still do now, how could something so...mechanical be so funky? 

No comments: