Wednesday, November 02, 2022

And you don't come from this town

After five days under the big sky a mile high, fuzzy-headed and languid, this is the perfect fit, just as it was in the humid Kentucky summer in '89, when I was finally fully driving, working full-time at TJ Maxx and figuring out how to continue to live in the liberation I had during that first year of college while staying in my old room back at home. How odd to return to childhood in your last teenage year when you'd gone where you wanted when you wanted, and if you didn't go where you needed when you should have, you and you alone paid the consequences. 

At least I had the freedom of a car. Did they finally have two cars then? Must have, because I was able to take the matte-blue Toyota out at night, to work, to where I needed (and sometimes wanted) to go. I have a distinct memory of sitting at the light on Waller Avenue at Broadway, an intersection where both streets turn into other-named streets, Waller becoming Mason-Headley Road and Broadway becoming Harrodsburg Road. This must have evolved from the junction being the legal boundary of town at some point, where city streets became country roads named either after people or their farms, or the destination/terminus, where a managed thoroughfare, a part of a whole, abruptly ended and became a country highway. 

Anyway: I'm at this light, and this song is on the radio. And I'm sitting there, late in the night, waiting at a red light where the green-lit street is empty, no traffic, where, decades before, what was controlled became free. And I'm noticing that key change in guitar in the song's "doo-doodoo, doo-doo" outro, and I feel...my age. Grown. Living on the highway, not the street.

No comments: