Thursday, December 20, 2012

Today's Shuffle (Shopping Edition): I'm gonna walk by myself to prove that my love is true

Clever Shuffle! You found two versions of the same song and almost bookended my pelted tromp around the Loop. Which actually was lovely--downtown was deserted due to an impending storm that, like an indifferent friend, never showed up, and lights were lit, and store clerks were warm friendly despite being tired, and, even though I was steaming like frozen vegetables in a bag in my down coat (thanks, forecast) and was shopping (thanks, Christmas), I was happy.

I love the Loop. I have the lake literally in my face every workday now, and god, I need that, but I do miss the Loop.





I think Stevie's version (recorded 1967 but not release until a decade or so later) edges out Aretha's, in which there's a bit too much going on--strings, synths, back-up voices. I wish it'd stick with the piano that starts the song. Stevie's is pure heart.

Stevie Wonder, Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do), Anthology
Led Zeppelin, Black Dog Led Zeppelin IV
My Morning Jacket, Touch Me I'm Going To Scream, Evil Urges
Kraak & Smaak, Danse Macabre Music for Cocktails: The Silver Edition
The Lonely Island, Dick In A Box Incredibad
XTC, Don't Lose Your Temper Black Sea 
Ike & Tina Turner, Sexy Ida Part 1 Proud Mary: The Best of Ike & Tina Turner
Sarah Vaughn, Sometimes I'm Happy The Very Best of Sarah Vaughn
Bomb the Bass, Bug Powder Dust (Kruder and Dorfmeister Dub) Chill Lounge 1
Sade, Feel No Pain Love Deluxe
Rockpile, Now and Always Seconds of Pleasure
English Beat, End of the Party Special Beat Service
Beastie Boys, Say It Hot Sauce Committee Part Two 
Beastie Boys, Right Right Now Now To The 5 Boroughs 
Radiohead, Planet Telex The Bends
Jimmy Cliff, Hard Road to Travel This Is Crucial Reggae
David Bowie, All The Madmen The Man Who Sold The World
Aretha Franklin, Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) Let Me In Your Life
Billy Joel, Travelin' Prayer Piano Man
Lady Gaga, Paparazzi The Fame
Beck, Lost Cause Sea Change 

p.s. Thanks for the holiday tunez!

 

No comments: